Assistant/Associate Professor – Education Management
City University College – Ulster University Qatar
Doha - Qatar
27 June 2023
End of Advertisement Period
26 July 2023 or earlier subject to shortlisting the best-fit candidates
Assistant / Associate Professor
Two Years - Renewable
Remuneration and Benefits
Contract Start Date
City University College in partnership with Ulster University, Qatar (CUC Ulster) is a new, modern and dynamic educational institution with great aspirations to become one of the leading providers of higher education and skills development in Qatar. Located in the heart of the Capital, Doha, CUC Ulster currently offers a range of applied learning and degree programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels currently centered around Business, Computing and Technology, with the intention to offer more robust and diverse programmes.
At CUC Ulster we teach and research with incredible breadth and depth with the aim of making lives better, not just by producing leaders, but by supporting the development of knowledge and innovation with genuine benefit to society. CUC Ulster, defined by excellence through an agile market- driven approach is guided by its core values of creativity, integrity, inclusivity and engagement. Ulster University is one of the leading universities in the UK and has a national and international reputation for excellence, innovation and research. Its Business School is the 6th largest in the UK and ranked 7th in the UK for research impact.
This is an exciting time for CUC Ulster, with a move to a new interim and vibrant campus in September 2022 in advance to moving into our purpose built campus in September 2024. This position represents an exciting opportunity to lead the University into the next phase of its development to achieve its vision to be one of the leading Higher Education Institutions, contributing to Qatar’s National Vision 2030. As such, we are searching for an exceptional lecturer with a positive and dynamic attitude who can make a tangible impact on our students and our future growth and expansion plans.
- Undertake teaching activities in the curriculum area, ensuring high quality of provision, in response to learners’ needs and in line with professional teaching standards
- Be responsible to the Dean of Academic Affairs for an agreed teaching programme in Education and Foundation programmes but may be required to teach on any other course offered by the university for which the post holder is appropriately qualified
- Work collaboratively and innovatively with managers and colleagues to design, develop, manage and review programmes in the curriculum area
- Develop course materials, schemes of work, group profiles etc. as required and make these available prior to course starting dates and are made available through the university shared information systems
- Conduct seminars and workshops to position the programs to prospective students and support recruitment activities
- Deliver academic tutorials to provide students with feedback on progress and formative guidance on how to improve performance to assure success
- Maintain records of work and student attendance, progress and assessment in accordance with approved procedures and will provide them as requested by student services department
- Undertake assessment and internal verification activities in accordance with the requirements of the relevant qualifications awarding bodies and the university’s internal and external quality assurance procedures
- Keep up to date with research in own field and participate in university research programmes
- Ensure all Health and Safety procedures are followed and assist in the maintenance of high standards of Health and Safety throughout the university
- Contribute fully to the co-ordination, development, promotion and delivery of the range of courses offered by the university as required and will promote, manage and develop appropriate short courses as led by market forces or local/national needs
- Participate in the promotion of courses including marketing events, dealing with course enquiries and recruitment to courses, etc
- Work experience is an integral part of many courses and the post holder will be expected to assist in finding and monitoring work experience placements and in liaising with employers and the university to provide quality links.
- Assist in ensuring that expected standards of students’ behaviour are adhered to
- Participate in/arrange approved student visits, trips etc as and when required in accordance with university procedures
- Attend staff meetings, meetings with moderators/verifiers, parents' evenings, industry updating/staff development and training events etc. as required by the Dean of Academic Affairs
- Ensure Information Learning Technology (ILT) is a driving force to create an efficient and effective working and learning environment
- Embed within all learning activities the opportunity to improve students research skills
- Regularly evaluate course inputs through course teams, staff development and student feedback
- In accordance with the university’s quality procedures, implement and monitor the self-assessment process and ensure continuous quality improvement of standards of performance in teaching and learning
- Participate in the university’s Appraisal and Review process
- Work in accordance with the university’s Equality and Diversity Policy at all times
- Commit to and uphold, the university’s Environmental Policies and aspirations for sustainable learning provision
- Undertake other duties as may be determined from time to time within the general scope of the post
- PhD degree in Education from a recognized university
- Native speaker of English or, if not, have current IELTS 7.5 Academic certification.
- Candidates should possess a portfolio of research in a reputable education journals
- Proven experience of teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Prior work experience in the GCC or in a UK-style higher education environment.
- Proven work experience in a UK, Western European, Australian, New Zealand, South African or Canadian university
- Assistant Professor positions require experience of successful performance in posts of increasing responsibility involving supervision of teaching staff and /or curriculum management for a minimum of four years.
- Assistant Professor must have demonstrable ability to prepare and oversee implementation of program development plans, and assess colleagues work.